The Earl of Pembroke founded Tintern Abbey just 16km south of New Ross in about 1200, when, during a treacherous journey on ship, he vowed to establish an abbey if he reached land safely. The abbey is thus often called Tintern de Voto, or Tintern of the Vow. It was colonised by the Cistercian monks from the abbey at Tintern, Wales, of which the Earl was also a patron. Today, visitors to the lovely County Wexford site can view the remains of the nave, chancel, tower, chapel and cloister. Tintern Abbey is located 16km south of New Ross off the R734 road or 29km from Wexford off the Wexford to Ballyhack road R733.